CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 22, 2009

Knee News - Post surgical update

Thank you to everyone for your care and concern after my knee arthroscopy.

Fortunately
, it wasn't too bad and I was back on my feet after a few days.

Unfortunately
, I got bad news on the results and another surgery is around the corner.









Those are my arthroscopy pictures. To the untrained eye it looks like a circle with white, black and pink inside. Actually, with a little help, I was able to see exactly what they were explaining to me.

So, here it is (diagnoses) :
1. Partial ACL tear


2. Femoral condyle articular cartilage defect 4.5 cm x 4 cm


3. Absent lateral meniscus

The plan is to reconstruct ACL, meniscus transplant and chondrocyte implantation (ACI) on the femoral condyle. These procedures are invasive, expensive and require special medical board review by my insurance company (Aetna) for pre-approval.

I have researched these procedures extensively on-line and have appreciated the few blogs that I have found that provided personal experiences. I hope to post information about my journey that could help guide others seeking knowledge.

In the mean time, I hope not to bore my casual friend and family readers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry to hear about your knee. I empathize with you greatly! You are getting even more work done than I did. Did you find a donor for your meniscus? I went ahead and wrote a few things down in response to your comment on my blog. I aslo posted a few pictures of my knee from before surgery, all the way up to my first dr visit where they took out my stitches. If you have any specific questions, PLEASE feel free to ask me! Or if you are like me, laying on the couch all day with your computer trying to figure out how to pass time, feel free to write me. =)
Good luck with your surgery. It'll all go great! God bless and a speedy recovery to you!
Abby