CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 29, 2009

First Post-op Appointment

Today was my first follow-up appointment. My entire leg has been wrapped up like a mummy since Tuesday, so I was really excited about getting all of that off and seeing my incisions!

I knew in advance that my OS would not be there. Instead, Dr. Bothwell's physician assistant, Bonnie saw me. I really like Bonnie. She has been the one who I talked to about all the coordination. She is readily available and knowledgeable--and she has great suture skills!


So, when they got it unwrapped, this is what we saw.

***weak stomachs---do not proceed!***









So, doesn't look too bad, right?

I have 3 incisions:
the largest one is anterior-4 inches long
below that and medial is a 3 inch incision
the 3rd incision is lateral, also about 3 inches


They took off all my steri-strips and replaced them with pretty clean white ones, then wrapped me up again and put my brace back on.

Bonnie was impressed that I went to class this morning. We talked about starting Physical Therapy (PT) this week.

Her goals for me were simple:
Non-weight bearing (NWB) for 5 more weeks
Elevate and ice as much as possible for a least the next week
60 degrees ROM on CPM
Start PT

Are you getting all the abbreviations?


I still must keep my incisions clean and dry but can take a shower sitting down without my brace on. We have found that using press and seal or plastic wrap keep it nice and dry. The part I hate most is sleeping with the big brace. It is heavy and cumbersome--not comfortable, nor romantic!

Next appointment, Wednesday, July 8th with Dr. Bothwell.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

So glad that you are getting around better and hopefully back to normal soon!