CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

3 Weeks Post-op

  • It has been a tough few weeks, but I'm starting to see slow progress. I have now had two PT appointments and I am meeting my ROM goals with ease--thanks to the CPM. The hardest part are SLR's (straight leg raises). I get extreme pain around my patella and makes it almost impossible to continue.


    On July 8th, I had my second post-op appointment with Dr. Bothwell. He was very happy with the x-rays and my progress so far. He is different than most physicians. He sits down to talk; never in a hurry (at least he never leads on to that fact). His bedside manner is superior to most and I really appreciate that.



    It is so different being on this side of healthcare. I feel like I have gained a lot of insight that will make me a better practioner.



    So here are pictures from my most recent visit.
    Again, we changed the steri-strips--it looks pretty good!





Matt-my personal nurse and most importantly, the Best Husband, accompanies me to my appointments and asks all the questions that I don't want to!








Matt's knee wanted some attention too!





My ROM is at 90 degrees; which is my maximum for the first 4 weeks so that the meniscus bone plug has time to adhere.


I can't wait to be able to "swim"--okay, maybe not swim but do pool walking
When I asked Dr. Bothwell if I could get into the pool soon he said, "No." Then said, "Let me rephrase that. Hell No!" Of course I further questioned him and he told me about a recent infection in a patient of his after 12 weeks after surgery. Because my bone was drilled and I now have cadaver parts and screws; I have an increased risk for infection and neither of us would want to risk it.

We also talked about our upcoming move to California. Dr. Bothwell has an orthopedic physician friend in LA that he will refer me to for my follow-up appointments out there. It will be an hour or so drive to see him, but should only be once a month. But, until the middle of August, I will continue to see Dr. Bothwell every 2-3 weeks.

We ordered the Rebound Crutches, so I am looking forward to getting those. It is way too hot in Texas in July to crutch around very much. I immediately break out in a big sweat! Thank goodness I have a wheelchair to sit in class and wonderful friends to push me around campus.
Only 3 more weeks of NWB!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Good to hear that everything is going well!

Caroline said...

this may sound crazy but i have so loved all your knee pictures!!!!! hahahahh it is just so fascinating to me! So glad you are doing better!!!!!